Thursday, March 22, 2007

Lord I'm coming home...

My Daily commute from Work (San Jose) back to Tracy !

Maybe it is the angle of the sun at this time of the year, or maybe just because it is a clear day, but by God, we live in such a beautiful part of the country. The green rolling hills, the wide highways, the blue skies and pleasant sunshine... This is what struck me about the pictures I took on the way home, especially those near the Altamont Pass and the scene off Highway 680 North just around Fremont. Very beautiful.

I am beginning to enjoy my drive home every day from San Jose to Tracy ! I find myself actually looking around more at the hills, (the spring colors), and less at the ugly traffic. Going home is a good thing, no matter how far I have to go to get there.



I have as usual braved the speed of the open road (Today traffic was close to non-existent) with one hand on the steering wheel and the other clutching the plunger on my ancient camera... enjoy the pictures, perhaps many of you Tracy residents see this every day of your life but are too tired or concentrating on the road too much to take in the beauty of the hills.. (in an effort to stay alive).. Some peripheral scenes may look familiar.

Click here to view videos of the commute.

~~~

We start our journey on Montague North heading towards the 680 Ramp. You need to cross 880 first. The second picture is just after we cross 880, before we get to Great Mall Parkway.
(click image for more detail)



~~~

After we cross the Great Mall Pkwy, We get to the 680 Exit. Take 680 North to Sacramento(click image for more detail)



~~~

The most Beautiful sight !
This stretch of highway is very scenic because of the lovely hills in the background. This is on the Milpitas to Fremont stretch of road. There is this one house I always look at when passing by, you can see it on the hill-top (4th picture). What a great view of Silicon Valley he must have. It is the white one at the top of the hill. It really took my breath away. The photo really doesn't do it justice.
(click image for more detail)




~~~

Washington Blvd exit.
This was a scary picture to take.
I couldn't slow down and folks were going at a standard 70mph
(click image for more detail)



~~~


Now come all the Fremont Exits.
The Mission Blvd Exit is usually crowded, but not so much today. I left work at 6:25 pm, so it was still bright out (days last longer at this time of the year thank god) The green hills look so beautiful, I really can't describe them beyond that, without sounding vulgar. :-)
(click image for more detail)




~~~

After Sunol comes a few Pleasanton exits
(The evening cloud color in these pictures remind me of Vanilla sky)
(click image for more detail)



~~~

Here is the stretch of highway between Pleasanton and the 580/680 Junction. Long straight road, lots of Highway Police lurking. Careful of your speed here.(click image for more detail)



~~~

Next Exit Tracy (before the 580/680 Junction at Dublin)(click image for more detail)



~~~

Here at the 680/580 Junction, I take the Tracy exit.
It is the half-way point of the journey.
(click image for more detail)




~~~

Usually there is a Killer Traffic Jam right here (Santa Rita Rd), fortunately today, it is about 7:00pm as I pass Oracle, so no traffic jam, yay ! Also to my Left you can see the Regal IMAX cinema.(click image for more detail)




~~~

From Livermore driving up the Altamont Pass up-slope.(click image for more detail)




~~~

Altamont Pass road. Nearly there, I love this part of the trip.
In the First picture you will notice a Large Christian Cross cut into the Hillside.
When it gets dark sometimes the edges light up (it has powered lights along the edges)
(click image for more detail)



~~~
The Gateway to Tracy
When I see this Arch I know I have reached Tracy... I think of it as the "Gateway to Tracy", even though it is just a bridge with a rail track passing over it.(click image for more detail)


~~~


Mountain House exit and Defence Depot Exit, nearly there...(click image for more detail)



~~~


Home at last!
The 11th Street 'City of Tracy Fountain'.
And don't forget, the nice ornamental street lights.
The last picture is the Intersection of '11th and Corral Hollow'
I'll be home in 5 minutes... :-)
(click image for more detail)


It took me exactly 54 minutes to reach home today.

I was so excited with all my photos, that I came home and started uploading them straight away. Took me a whole hour.. haha!!I will bid you adieu for now... it is 9:30 pm, dark, my wife thinks I am nuts and my dinner is getting cold..

Good night and sweet dreams.

Click here to view videos of the commute.



~~~

9 comments:

  1. really though... isn't it fun? I did that commute for a year when I first moved here. Needless to say I had a breakdown... LOL... i quit my job... I would drive there, off at Montague, down montague to santa clara to drop my daughter off then back track down montague back to milpitas to work... fun times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, that must have been tough, juggling work and dropping/picking up your child too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photographs, very clear and rich color.. I like the one with the hill in the beginning.
    What camera do you use ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next to my many family members and friends have here it's those wonderful hills that keeps me here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. get that corvette off the road! and as for the driver....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, good one 4thUmpire !
    How are you doing ? And what are you driving these days ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow after reading this I feel like such a jerk. My husband and I are considering to move the Tracy for various reasons. One, the schools are better than San Leandro schools. Next, we know that we will get more house for the buck. The only thing stopping us is the commute. The good thing is that we have flex schedules. I work in Pleasanton and my husband works in San Ramon but after reading your blog (thank you for this)...we are Tracy bound! If you can travel to San Jose everyday, then our commute will be a breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever tried taking Tesla Rd to Corral Hollow and avoiding the Altimont? I was wondering if that is a decent option.
    The reason that I ask is because of last Wed. A trucker dropped his trailer in the pass going East on 580 right before Grant Line Rd-Byron exit. It blocked the right lane and 580 was backed up all the way past 680 and it added an hour to my ride even coming off of 84 (Isabel Ave). If I took Tesla Rd off of Vallecitos it would have saved me at least 45 minutes. Haven't tried that road yet so was wondering what it was like.

    ReplyDelete