Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Cross on the Altamont

As you leave Livermore and drive easterly towards Tracy onto the Altamont Pass on Highway 580, you come across a really big Cross cut out of the hill to the left of the highway.. It says "Jesus Saves".

The cool part is, it lights up at night (Like a big runway) and one can even see it from the sky. Here's an aerial picture of it from Google Maps. I quite like it when land owners near the highway or near it, produce statements or works of art for passers by to view.. Such is Americana.. From sculptures made of half buried cadillacs to a giant Picnic basket... We will always have creativity..


All I can say to the owner of the land or the creator of the cross on it is, "Bless you Sir" and "Thank you" for sharing.

Amen.

12 comments:

  1. I pass by that every day. I have not seen it lit up in a long time. Wonder who it belongs to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome how some people are so dedicated to try to touch other's that may just need a reminder about the power of Faith.... and how healing it can be... Kudoos to the one who created it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome, i wonder if it's the reason i feel that this area is so peaceful sometimes. I'm sure it doesn't hurt...With all the bad things going on in the world, it is so refreshing to see someone make such and artistic statement of, im assuming his/her faith! I hope it is never taken away! I would be the first to protest!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this message on the hill! I came across the history tonight...

    http://www.impactforgod.com/2010/08/pastor-bob-ferro-the-inside-story-on-the-altamont-cross-2/

    ReplyDelete
  5. An offensive eyesore.keep your beliefs to yourself as i do mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In addition to being an offensive eyesore, this thing could also cause traffic accidents as a distraction to motorists.

      Delete
    2. Quit being a bitter person

      Delete
    3. That is rude! I am not christian and I think it's beautiful. You are a jerk!!

      Delete
  6. While I do echo the non believer sentiment, I do respect the right everyone has to believe whatever gives them calm. So like some of the greatest religion inspired art out there, this one is also cool because it took human effort to plan and execute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many of you think this is "cool" but for those that have spiritual beliefs (or non-beliefs) that are inconsistent with this thing, it's offensive because this is somebody who is forcing his or her religious beliefs of everyone who needs to travel on this very busy stretch of highway. And by the way, my spirituality is Christian-based, but I think pushing Christian-based, or any other type of spirituality messages in the form of a huge public display such as this is wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see a fair number of positive responses to the Jesus Saves display on the hill. I'm wondering if these same people would rate the same type of display in the same location that says "Praise Allah" in the same positive way.

    ReplyDelete